QR Veyre-Monton – Bourg 6
Place des Forts
This is the site of the castle’s former square keep, the memory of which is visible on the ground in a… circular mark. This tower, with its relatively modest footprint (around 34m2), was used as a prison for many years. It was demolished in 1808-1809, as the commune had noted the « uselessness of this feudal monument ». The materials were used to pave or repair the streets of Monton.
Note the three-lobed window on one of the walls of this square (perhaps re-purposed?) and the stone bearing the inscription « Disme de la cathédrale ». Its original location is unknown, but it confirms that part of the ecclesiastical tax levied in Monton went to the chapter of Clermont Cathedral.