QR Veyre-Monton – Bourg 17
The Monton cemetery was created in 1694, at a time when a great famine accompanied by epidemics caused such a terrible slaughter that up to five people a day were being buried for months on end.
Previously, all the deceased from the parish were buried in the Saint-Alyre cemetery. In the 18th century, only the inhabitants of Veyre and Soulasse were still buried there. Soulasse got its own cemetery in 1820, and Veyre only in 1865.
In the centre of the old part of the Monton cemetery stands a cross dating from the 17th century. At present it is placed on the graves of two former parish priests. To the left of the entrance gate originally stood a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel. It was rebuilt in 1882 and placed under the title of Notre-Dame de la délivrance des âmes du purgatoire (the issue of souls in purgatory), as evidenced by the sculptural group inside.