QR Veyre-Monton – Bourg 0
History of Monton
Monton is one of three villages in the commune. Facing south, it sits on the slopes of Puy de Monton, a volcanic promontory rising to 585 metres. This is the historic heart of the commune. In 1872, Monton had a population of 1,619, over 80% of the whole commune. However, during the 20th century and following the phylloxera crisis, the village reduced in size, some of its occupants dispersing to settlements on the Veyre plain.
In the Middle Ages, the original nucleus was built around a fortified castle and a chapel. During the Hundred Years’ War, this doubled thanks to a vast village wall lined with gates and flanked by towers, some of which still remain. It was perhaps at this time that cave dwellings, occupied until recently, were built into the Tuff cliffs. The village inherited its medieval layout, narrow streets and many architectural details from this period.
Vines, which played a key role in the village economy, have also left their mark on the town’s landscape. Numerous winegrowers’ houses bear witness to this, and the church has a statue of the patron saint of Auvergne winegrowers, Saint Verny.
And the monumental Virgin Mary, who watches over Monton, is like coded message, telling travellers of the village since 1869.
1-A wine-growing village
2-Monton, a fortified village
3- Rue des Remparts
4-Place de la Croix
6-Place des Forts
8-Rue de la Tabarelle
9-Place du Bartia
10-The « Bonne Fontaine »/The Tour du Bailly
- Basic route 2000m
- Variant of troglodyte dwellings, 370m, some steep sections